Holiday meals should be a good blend of family classic recipes with a twist of new recipes – my opinion.
Today in the e-mail inbox I found a recipe for sugar-free cranberry sauce. “Oh no, now what sweeter is used – can’t be good!!” I was wrong – good food of the earth… from Lani Muelrath. Check out her webpage ASAP as she is featuring a webcast with Lindsay S. Nixon about cooking for the holidays and will be introducing her new book: Happy Herbivore Abroad .
Now back to Lani’s recipe:
- 2 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- juice from one orange
- a dozen pitted dates (doesn’t matter what variety, I used a mix of medjool and deglet noor)
- 1/4 + cup water
- soak the dates overnight in the orange juice (you can probably skip this step if in a hurry – if so, maybe cook them a little to soften!)
- blend the dates with the juice and water
- put the dates/juice/water in a pot with the cranberries, bring up the heat quickly to get it hot and then and cook over medium/low heat for 15 minutes.
There you have it! You may need more or less water, depending on how juicy the orange, dates, and cranberries.